Posts Tagged ‘Rio de Janerio’
Rio De Janerio, Oct 27 (IANS) Brazilian Serie A footballer Bida has been banned for two years after twice testing positive to an illegal substance within a week.
The Atletico Goias midfielder was found guilty by Brazil’s Superior Sports Tribunal of Justice, Friday, after traces of the diuretic hydrochlorothiazide were found in a test sample given after his side’s match against Flamengo, July 1, reports Xinhua.
It followed another positive test to the masking agent after the match against Fluminense a week earlier.
He was absolved on the first occasion after the club’s nutritionist Fernanda Machado Rezende assumed responsibility for allowing the drug’s ingestion.
The 28-year-old did not immediately reveal whether he would appeal the verdict.
“I didn’t expect to be given two years but at the same time that’s the way the tribunal saw it and I have to respect the decision,” Bida said.
Rio de Janerio, Sep 30 (IANS) The future of troubled football striker Adriano is in limbo after the former Brazil international missed training for the third time since signing with Flamengo last month.
Xinhua reports that the 30-year-old failed to attend a compulsory “ball movement” session with teammates at the club’s training base in Rio Saturday.
“Adriano didn’t come to training today (Saturday). I will sit down the football department and the player to find out what happened,” Flamengo’s football director Zinho was quoted as saying by Lancenet.
The former Inter Milan and Roma star’s absence comes after the club warned he was on his last chance after missing two previous sessions since being offered a contract on August 22.
He is currently undertaking an intensive training program in a bid to regain fitness after recovering from surgery on his left Achilles tendon.
Flamengo fitness advisor Claudio Pavanelli indicated Adriano’s future was now unclear.
“As this is his third absence and due to his problems in the past, it could have an impact on his return to the pitch,” Pavanelli said.
Adriano has been beset by disciplinary problems in recent years and was released from his contract with Corinthians in March after allegedly missing 67 physiotherapy sessions.
Rio de Janerio, Sep 10 (IANS) Former Brazil international forward Fred struck a first-half winner against Internacional as Fluminense maintained top spot in Brazil’s Serie A football standings.
The 27-year-old pounced on Wellington Nem’s precise pass before sliding a low shot past goalkeeper Muriel to hand Fluminense a 1-0 victory at the Beira-Rio Stadium in Porto Alegre, Sunday, reports Xinhua.
Both teams were reduced to 10 men when Fluminense’s Leandro Euzebio and Internacional’s Nei were shown red cards for an incident early in the second half.
Fred praised the performance of his teammates, saying heavy rain and a soft pitch had tested players from both sides.
“This was a victory over adversity,” Fred said. “It wasn’t easy today but we showed great character and did just enough to win the match.”
Internacional was without star strikers Leandro Damiao and Diego Forlan, who are currently on international duty with Brazil and Uruguay respectively.
In other matches Sunday, Botafogo defeated Nautico 3-1, Santos and Sao Paulo drew 0-0, Bahia shocked Vasco da Gama 4-0 while Ronaldinho’s Atletico Mineiro defeated Palmeiras 3-0.
Rio de Janerio, Aug 28 (IANS) Tottenham Hotspur target Leandro Damiao will not be sold until at least the end of the year, Brazilian Serie A soccer club Internacional said.
Internacional revealed Monday that Tottenham officials had traveled to the southern Brazilian city of Porto Alegre last week to offer 20 million pounds for the 23-year old striker, reports Xinhua.
“Tottenham came after him but the proposal wasn’t befitting of the player’s value,” Internacional football director Luciano Davi told Uol. “Leandro is the center forward of the Brazilian national team and we have to respect that.”
The announcement marks the third time in the past 12 months that Tottenham has had an offer rejected for Damiao.
“Our aim is to keep him here until the end of the year at least,” Davi said. “The proposals we’ve had don’t come close to the player’s value and we’re not interested in selling him.”
Damiao has scored 72 goals from 119 matches for Internacional in Brazil’s top flight. He has also excelled at international level having top-scored at the recent the London Olympic tournament with six goals.
Rio de Janerio, Aug 26 (IANS) Brazil international striker Neymar scored twice as Santos rallied from behind to beat Palmeiras 2-1 in Brazil’s Serie A football championship.
The 20-year-old slotted a free-kick into the top corner on the stroke of half-time before a 62nd-minute strike from outside the penalty area rebounded in off the post Saturday, reports Xinhua.
Earlier, Carlos Correa had given Palmeiras the lead with a low 25 metre shot which made its way past a maze of Santos defenders and a flat-footed keeper Rafael.
After a torrid start to the season, Santos has now won three games in succession to move to ninth in the standings.
“I said that we were going to be hard to beat and now we are starting to string some wins together,” Neymar said. “Who knows, maybe we can be there at the end.”
In other matches, a Thiago Neves double gave Fluminense a 2-1 victory over Vasco da Gama while Ponte Preta also won 2-1 at home against Portuguesa.
Rio de Janerio, Aug 15 (IANS) Brazil’s friendly football match against Sweden Wednesday will be the start of the “final straight” in their preparations for next year’s Confederations Cup, according to coach Mano Menezes.
Barcelona defender Daniel Alves and Chelsea pair David Luiz and Ramires are the main additions to the team that lost the Olympic final 1-2 to Mexico Saturday, reports Xinhua.
Real Madrid left-back Marcelo will miss the match in Stockholm due to suspension while Rafael da Silva (Manchester United) and Juan (Inter Milan) have been omitted.
“We are in the final straight in terms of defining the team,” Menezes said Tuesday.
“I always said that after the Olympics we would start to work towards an idea, even though most of the group has been retained from the London Games.”
The Confederations Cup, to be played in Brazil next year, will feature each of FIFA’s continental champions in addition to World Cup winner Spain and Brazil as the host nation.
The tournament is considered a warm-up for the World Cup the following year.
Menezes admitted Brazil had plenty of scope for improvement following the Olympic final disappointment.
“We have to play better than we did (against Mexico),” Menezes said.
“We have the capacity to play convincingly as we showed in the series of friendly matches before the Olympics.”
Rio de Janerio, Aug 11 (IANS) Former Brazil star Romario has called for the immediate dismissal of national coach Mano Menezes after Brazil’s 2-1 loss to Mexico in the Olympic football final Saturday.
Romario said Menezes was the chief culprit for the team’s failure to secure the only major football trophy it is yet to win at London’s Wembley Stadium, reports Xinhua.
“He doesn’t know how to plan for games, he doesn’t know how to organise the team and in my opinion this result is entirely his fault,” Romario said during his commentary work for Brazil’s Olympic broadcaster Record.
“He is not good enough for the job and I hope he never has a chance to coach this team again.”
Among Romario’s principal criticisms was the team’s “loose marking” of Mexico striker Oribe Peralta, who scored two goals.
“It looked as though the team didn’t even watch a video of him because he was given too much space and not enough respect,” Romario said.
The former Barcelona and Brazil striker also lambasted Menezes’ decision not to introduce Paris Saint Germain’s 43 million euro signing Lucas Moura until the 84th minute.
“He is a player who creates chances and makes a difference for his speed, powerful shot on goal and ability to link with the strikers. He should have been in the team from the beginning.”
Romario cited Neymar, Thiago Silva, Lucas Moura, Leandro Damiao and Oscar as members of Brazil’s Olympic squad who would form a key part of the country’s 2014 World Cup team.
“Brazil’s football confederation needs to start working tomorrow to avoid similar disappointment at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. The planning begins now,” he concluded.
Rio De Janerio, July 29 (IANS) Brazilian Serie A football team Palmeiras has confirmed the sale of right-back Cicinho to Spanish club Sevilla.
The agreement comes after Palmeiras earlier rejected an initial offer of two million euros from the Spanish club, reports Xinhua.
“The negotiations are advanced and it’s just of finalizing the details,” Palmeiras vice-president Roberto Frizzo said Saturday.
Frizzo guaranteed Cicinho would play in Sunday’s match against Cruzeiro, adding the deal was unlikely to go ahead before Monday.
Cicinho, 25, has played 86 matches for Palmeiras.
Rio de Janerio, July 20 (IANS) Botafogo has confirmed former Dutch international midfielder Clarence Seedorf will make his debut for the club in Sunday’s match against Gremio, local media reported Friday.
Seedorf, 36, who arrived at the Rio de Janeiro outfit earlier this month, has not played since ending his 10-year career at AC Milan in May, reports Xinhua.
“Seedorf has trained hard and fine-tuned his fitness before his debut aginast Gremio,” the club said in a post on its official Twitter account.
Brazil’s football confederation (CBF) also confirmed Thursday that the playmaker was free to play after his registration was approved.
Meanwhile Botafogo has announced the signing of Uruguayan international midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro on a four-year deal. Nicolas Lodeiro, 23, had played for Amsterdamsche Football Club Ajax for the past two years.
The move came after Dutch club Ajax chose not to exercise the option of a two-year contract extension for Lodeiro.
Lodeiro, who is currently in London with Uruguay’s Olympic squad, will join Botafogo directly after the Games.
Rio de Janerio, June 28 (IANS) Brazil international midfielder Paulo Henrique Ganso has rejected an improved contract offer by his club Santos.
The 22-year-old, currently tied to the Brazilian outfit until 2015, is reportedly seeking a salary of $500,000 a month – more than double the amount proposed by Santos, reports Xinhua.
“The negotiations are still open,” Santos vice president Odilio Rodrigues said on Wednesday.
“The president (Luis Alvaro de Oliveira) spoke to him during the week but they didn’t reach an agreement,” he said.
Despite his star status, Ganso currently earns $65,000 a month, significantly less than most top level players in Brazil, and nearly eight times less than what he gets now.
His teammate Neymar is currently the highest paid player in the country with an estimated monthly salary of $1.5 milllion, more than three quarters of which comes from sponsors.
Rio De Janerio, June 27 (IANS) Thomaz Bellucci will be Brazil’s sole singles representative at the London Olympics, the Brazilian Tennis Confederation (CBT) announced.
The World No.76 received a wildcard for the singles draw at the All-England Club and will pair up with Andre Sa in the doubles, Xinhua reports. Marcelo Melo and Bruno Soares will also compete in the doubles event.
‘I’ m very happy with the news,’ Bellucci said, hours after being eliminated from Wimbledon with a straight-sets loss to world No.2 Rafael Nadal in the opening round.
Bellucci’ s inclusion continues Brazil’ s record of having at least one representative in the men’ s draw since tennis was reinstated as an Olympic sport in 1988 after a 64-year absence.
Brazil has never won an Olympic tennis medal. Fernando Meligeni went closest at the 1996 Games in Atlanta when he lost the bronze medal playoff against India’s Leander Paes.
Rio de Janerio, June 20 (IANS) Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived here Wednesday for the Earth Summit and join world leaders in finding ways of reducing poverty, advancing social equity and protecting the environment in a sustainable manner amid a serious global economic crisis.
Apart from attending the Summit, which starts with a ceremonial opening session followed by a photo session of leaders and a plenary, the prime minister will hold bilateral talks with his Chinese counterpart, Wen Jiabao.
‘We have come a long way since the Earth Summit in Rioin 1992,’ the prime minister said ahead of the Summit, referring to the firstsuch gathering of world leaders in this Brazilian port city 20 years ago that first emphasized the concept of sustainable development.
‘Environmental concerns today occupy centrestage of the global discourse. Yet we are far from pursing a truly sustainable path towardsdevelopment. The UN Conference on Sustainable Development is a historicopportunity to give meaningful content to the paradigm of sustainable development,’ the prime minister said.
According to him, there was now the need to move away from a resource-intensive development process, while ensuring inclusive and balanced development and growth to eradicate the grinding poverty that afflicts millions of people around the globe.
The Rio+20 Conference is expected to dwell on some complex and extremely contentious issues such as a green economy and sustainable development goals – areas where there is a sharp divide between the developed countries on one side and the emerging and poor countries on the other.
‘I will emphasize that we must not dilute the cardinal principles of Rio 1992, particularly the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities as well as equity, which have been at the core of global sustainable development efforts,’ the prime minister said.
‘We must acknowledge the continuing differences in levels of development across the world and the need for provision of financial and technological support to the developing world if we are to work together as a global community to address our most pressing environmental challenges,’ hesaid.
‘India will work with like-minded countries to forge aconsensus in this endeavour.’
Speaking about India’s stand at Rio+20, Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan, who is here to assist the prime minister, said the outcome of the summit has to to be voluntary, non-binding and address the aspirations of all stakeholders.
‘There should be no compromise on equity and common but differentiated responsibility and these two principles should be the core of any outcome,’ she said.
The prime minister is scheduled to leave for South Africa Friday for a transit halt and reach New Delhi Saturday night.
(Arvind Padmanabhan can be reached email@example.com)